Q. Are there any calcium supplement in ayurveda?
- Yes there are many natural calcium sources used in Ayurveda which are far better than artificial synthetic calcium supplement.
- Calcium from natural sources like shankh, kapard, Godanti, coral, pearl, akkik, shring, kukkutandtvak are used in Ayurveda by making their bhasm(ash) .
- Bhasm or Ash of natural calcium are easy for body to absorb and they are alive with nature’s healing energy or prana.
- Other than that some herbs like asthishrikhla, shatavari, shigru, shilajit, amla, giloy, sesame seeds, ashwagandha, water chestnut and arjun helps in improving and maintaining calcium level in body.
- Calcium from above sources not only good for bones but they improve overall health.
- Synthetic calcium supplements have big molecules which are difficult for body to absorb plus they are dead and lack healing energy or prana.
Q. When to take calcium supplements?
Calcium is very important mineral to maintain bone health.
- Calcium is not produced in body, body gets it from food but if sufficient calcium is not available in diet then supplements are required.
- Calcium deficiency occurs in conditions like during menopause, lack of exercise, faulty lifestyle, smoking, alcohol, due to some medications, vitamin D deficiency, ageing etc then supplements are required.
Always consult doctor before taking calcium supplements.